Dani Olmo has dismissed Roberto Ayala’s apology after their altercation in the wake of the World Cup final and accused the Argentina coach of ‘lying’ with his version of events.
Ferran Torres’ emphatic extra-time strike proved the difference as Spain overcame Argentina’s gamesmanship and questionable tactics to get their hands on the coveted prize for a second time in the nation’s history.
However, violent clashes involving the two sets of players threatened to overshadow Spain’s celebrations after the final whistle, with Leandro Paredes pictured shoving and kicking Gavi and Eric Garcia.
Meanwhile, in a separate skirmish, Lionel Scaloni’s assistant Ayala was seen raising his hands and seemingly punching Olmo in the neck area, sending the Barcelona star backwards with some force.
Get personalised football updates every day
Sign up to our daily football newsletter and choose your team to get the latest news, rumours and more direct to your inbox every morning.
Olmo showed commendable restraint not reacting during the shameful scenes, before being shepherded away by Luis de la Fuente in the moments leading up to Spain’s trophy lift.
Three days on from the bad-tempered final, once the dust had settled, Ayala took the opportunity to pass on his apologies to the Spanish midfielder.
‘Obviously I’m sorry. Because of my position, I can’t allow a feeling, or what I might receive from the other party, to change my mood and my actions. I’m sorry, but for me, these are things that stay there and that’s it,’ he told Esports Migdia on Valencia Capital Radio.
‘For me, things need to be put behind us and left there.
‘It was more of a push than anything else, it wasn’t a punch like they’re saying, and that’s it.
‘It was a reaction to something he said, but that’s it. If I see him, I’ll obviously apologise to him in person.’
Ayala insisted he entered the pitch with the intention of calming his players down before getting dragged into the drama himself.
He added: ‘It’s a shame, and you have to accept the facts and the things you’ve done on the field.
‘When the game ends, what I see is a fight in the middle of the pitch, and we rush to go after our players, and it ends up like that because that’s not who we are.
‘I take responsibility for what I did. My intention was to go and separate them, that was my intention, but sometimes things happen and emotions run high, but that’s no excuse. And given my position, my behaviour has to be different, regardless of what I receive.’
But speaking to Diari de Terrassa, Olmo contested what Ayala claims happened, stressing that he never said anything to provoke the former Argentina and Valencia defender.
‘Someone who confesses to being sorry, but justifies a punch by claiming it was a response to something said, is surely not sorry, because he’s lying,’ Olmo explained.
‘I didn’t say anything to him, so I don’t need him to apologise.
‘What truly defines us isn’t the mistake itself, but the courage to accept it with humility, honesty, and dignity.
‘When my children, my family, and so many fans watch the game, I want them to be proud of how we competed, how we won, and above all, our behaviour.
‘The importance of football means that we players are role models for children and future generations, and that carries a huge responsibility.’
Olmo concluded: ‘Thank God, what’s really important is that we’ve experienced an incredible World Cup, that the world has seen it, and that we are world champions after a lot of hard work.’
FIFA have confirmed there will be an investigation into Argentina’s conduct after the final at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment