Jurgen Klopp insisted he will have no problem walking away from his new job as Germany head coach if he is treated unfairly by the media.
Klopp is back in the dugout for his first managerial job since departing Liverpool in the summer of 2024.
The 59-year-old will look to turn around his nation’s fortunes after another disappointing World Cup campaign led to the resignation of Julian Nagelsmann.
Germany have only reached one semi-final in the six major tournaments since winning the 2014 World Cup, and suffered a shock defeat on penalties to Paraguay in the last-32 of this latest World Cup.
Get personalised football updates every day
Sign up to our daily football newsletter and choose your team to get the latest news, rumours and more direct to your inbox every morning.
Klopp will have to wait until September for his first game in charge when Germany will take on the Netherlands in the Nations League.
But he issued a stern warning at his unveiling and said he would not stick around long if he is treated the same as his predecessor Nagelsmann or fellow countryman and England boss, Thomas Tuchel.
‘I’m not doing this job for myself, I’m doing it for you,’ he said. ‘I’m taking this job even though I’ve seen how you’ve treated Julian Nagelsmann. I’m taking it even though I’ve seen how you’ve treated Thomas Tuchel.
‘If you go after my family, I’m gone. If you think I’m rubbish, tell me to my face and I’ll leave immediately, without asking for any compensation.
‘I know there are other countries where national team coaches are treated even worse. I love this job but I am always ready to call it quits if need be.’
On the pitch, however, Klopp said he wanted to create a side that excited fans and said he would go into the next major tournament with high expectations.
‘For me, it was also a nice realisation at the World Cup that the back four won and we will do that,’ he added.
‘We’ll also play with wings, because I’m convinced of it. I want to make sure with the national team that people come home from the games and say “Wow”.
‘Are we number one in the world? No, but that doesn’t matter. Can we beat the eleven teams ahead of us in the world rankings? Yes! I would like us all to watch the DFB games together again away from tournaments, I didn’t do that myself. Successful football can change a country.
‘I want to see from the boys that it’s something very, very special to be invited to the national team. I won’t be able to please everyone, but I’ll try everything.
‘When I imagine Germany becoming world champions in four years, it feels very good. We have to play in such a way that we could become world champions. I’m up for it, let’s go!
‘We have an incredible amount of talent in Germany. We became U17 World and European Champion 2023. The talents are out there, but in German football you have to think about whether we are gearing everything towards winning the next tournament.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment