Paul Scholes has urged Chelsea to replace Robert Sanchez before the summer transfer window closes as he is a ‘problem’ for new boss Xabi Alonso.
Alonso is preparing for his first competitive game in charge of Chelsea, with the Blues facing west London rivals Fulham on Monday night.
Chelsea have been one of the biggest spenders once again this summer, splashing out over £300m on more than ten new signings.
The Blues made England midfielder Morgan Rogers the most expensive British player of all time in a £117m deal from Aston Villa, and also spent bid on Maxence Lacroix and Marco Palestra.
Get the latest transfer news every morning
Sign up to our daily football newsletter for personalised updates on who your team is trying to sign and who won't be around next season.
Chelsea were expected to dip into the transfer market for a new goalkeeper but Alonso appears content with his current options, with Sanchez still the No. 1 going into the new season.
A number of pundits have advised Chelsea to replace Sanchez, who has made a number of high-profile mistakes since his £25m from Brighton in 2023.
Manchester United legend Scholes also believes Sanchez will be a ‘problem’ for Alonso unless he is moved on and says Chelsea should launch a move for Emiliano Martinez before the transfer deadline.
The Aston Villa goalkeeper and former Arsenal star, 33, was expected to join Juventus but his move to Serie A has seemingly collapsed.
Juve were willing to pay 10m euros for Martinez – who has played in two World Cup finals, winning one of them – but Villa want at least £11m up front.
‘I think the goalkeeper is still a problem for Chelsea,’ Scholes said on The Good, The Bad & The Football podcast.
‘If I was them, I would have a look at the Aston Villa goalkeeper because his move to Juventus has just fallen through. I think he would be a good signing for Chelsea.’
Chelsea finished just 10th in the Premier League last season but are widely expected to improve under Alonso, the former Real Madrid and Liverpool midfielder.
In fact, Michael Owen has predicted Alonso’s side will finish second in the Premier League behind reigning champions Arsenal.
‘This could be way off the mark but they’ve got no Europe at all and you see how important that has been over the years,’ Owen said on the same YouTube channel.
‘It was brilliant for Manchester United last year. This manager [Alonso] did something similar with an unfancied team in Germany [Bayer Leverkusen], he’s going to change a lot, they’ve bought well.
‘I’m a huge Joao Pedro fan, I think he’s unbelievable. In fact, Manchester United should have bought him about four years ago when he was at Watford.
Chelsea's fixtures before first international break
Fulham vs Chelsea (August 24)
Chelsea vs Luton Town (August 27)
Chelsea vs Brighton (August 30)
Arsenal vs Chelsea (September 6)
Chelsea vs Hull City (September 12)
Brentford vs Chelsea (September 18)
‘United had nobody up front for years and I thought, “That Joao Pedro”, I love him.
‘Him, Morgan Rogers and Cole Palmer as a front three… strange signings in Danny Welbeck and Jordan Henderson obviously.’
Like Scholes, Owen also has concerns over Sanchez but still expects Chelsea to ‘catch fire’ this season.
‘There’s a big question mark over the goalkeeper, I hear that,’ the former England striker added.
‘But I just think that could catch fire that team. They’ve got no European football to concentrate on and there’s some good players there.
‘I think Chelsea could have a big season.’
Chelsea last won the Premier League in 2017 under Antonio Conte and finished nine places and 33 points behind Arsenal last season.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment