After a lengthy international break, Alan Shearer is back with his latest round of predictions ahead of a weekend of Premier League action.
The action gets underway in north London on Saturday lunchtime, where Arsenal will look to get back to winning ways against Leeds United after being thumped by Brighton before the break.
Chelsea will look to end their three-game winless run in the league against Bournemouth before Manchester United and Tottenham face off as they both look to build some momentum after a sluggish start to the campaign.
And on Sunday, all eyes will be on Anfield, where Liverpool welcome Manchester City, a blockbuster match further intensified by City’s off-pitch controversies during the international break.
Get personalised updates on your favourite club
Sign up to our daily football newsletter, pick your team and get the latest news sent directly to your inbox every morning.
As ever, England legend and Betfair ambassador Alan Shearer has revealed his Premier League predictions to Metro.
Arsenal vs Leeds United
I think Leeds have been really good. That’s not really a surprise because I think I had them just above mid-table in my season predictions. They’re a good team, they’ve signed some good players, and they’ve had a really good start.
Despite Leeds’ good start, I think Arsenal will have to bounce back after that Brighton defeat and I think they will bounce back, so I’m going for a home win.
Prediction: Arsenal win
Betfair Predicts
Arsenal 71%
Draw 19%
Leeds 11%
Aston Villa vs Brentford
This is a tough one to call. I think Villa needed that win last time out and now with them being at home, I’m just going to edge for a home win and that would tip it in my favour really.
Keith Andrews and the guys did a brilliant job last season and so far, are continuing that this season. I’ve said it many times, anyone that plays them this season knows that they’re in for a game. So, this is going to be a tough one for Villa, but I think the home side will just edge it.
Prediction: Aston Villa win
Betfair Predicts
Aston Villa 36%
Draw 27%
Brentford 37%
Chelsea vs Bournemouth
Bournemouth have been an interesting one this season, they’ve played well at times but haven’t got anything to show for it, they went 2-0 up at Newcastle and didn’t win. I think that’s probably their issue, because they’re that good in the first hour and hour and a bit, and then it looks as if they may tire a little bit. I don’t know. That being said, with Chelsea’s inconsistency and reports they might be missing some key players, I think they could go and get something there. So, I’m going to go for a draw.
I think defensively Chelsea have clearly got one or two issues and still haven’t ironed them out and been difficult for them again because of the international break. So, I’ll be interested to see how that develops and for that reason that’s why I think it’ll be a score draw.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Chelsea 57%
Draw 22%
Bournemouth 20%
Ipswich vs Fulham
Looking at what could happen at the end of the season, this could be a really big game. Ipswich are strong at home. I don’t know, this is a tough one to call.
I’ve got an inkling for Fulham. I think I’ve seen enough in Fulham. I do think it’ll be a hard season for them, but I think they’ll just maybe have enough. So, I’m going to go away win here.
Prediction: Fulham win
Betfair Predicts
Ipswich 34%
Draw 27%
Fulham 40%
Sunderland vs Brighton
It sounds as if Brian Brobbey’s injured for Sunderland, which I think will be key because I think he is a huge part in how Sunderland play, especially with the way he holds a ball up. It sounds as if he’s going to be out for the game, which I think will damage Sunderland. Looking at Brighton, I mean, Fabian Hürzeler and his boys have been superb, so I’m going to go away win.
Brighton are flying high at the moment and are in the Champions League spots, but I’ll be really surprised if they ended up there at the end of the season, but I do expect them to finish in around sixth or seventh, which again would be an amazing achievement.
Prediction: Brighton win
Betfair Predicts
Sunderland 31%
Draw 28%
Brighton 42%
Manchester United vs Tottenham
This is a huge, huge game for both football clubs and for both managers, clearly with the pressure they’re both under. Which is why I think it might be a draw. It’s at Old Trafford, I don’t fancy either team defensively, so I’m going to say a score draw.
The questions will still be there for both clubs and managers if it’s a draw, but that’s why it’s such a huge game because you can imagine the noise if one of them didn’t win. Look at the pressure that Michael Carrick and De Zerbi are under. When you go into the game and if either side lose, you can imagine the pressure is going to be ramped up.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Manchester United 57%
Draw 22%
Tottenham 21%
Crystal Palace vs Nottingham Forest
Another tough one to call again, and I’m going to say a draw. Both sides haven’t been great for me. So that’s why I think it will be a draw.
Glasner was brilliant at Palace, but he’s still trying to find his feet in terms of getting the system to work there at Forest. I do expect Forest to pick up a bit, but I think this will be another tough match for them.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Crystal Palace 36%
Draw 29%
Nottingham Forest 36%
Hull vs Everton
I just think with the experience of David Moyes, going away from home, I can see this being a classic sit, defend and hit them on the break performance from Everton. So, I’m going to go away win for Everton.
Everton didn’t really do a lot in the transfer market, but there’s been no panic from David Moyes. He was very measured in everything he said and he did, albeit he probably desperately wanted more in. But I think that’s where the experience comes from. There was no panic from him, which then didn’t send the panic to his squad, you can sort of sense and feel that. He is short on numbers, but with that experience, I do think they could go there and nick a win.
Prediction: Everton win
Betfair Predicts
Hull 26%
Draw 29%
Everton 47%
Liverpool vs Manchester City
This is a huge game. Liverpool are coming into this one with a few injuries off the back of the international break, but City have injury doubts with Haaland as well after he came off for Norway. I don’t think City have got a great record there at Anfield. So, I’m going to go home win for Liverpool in what will be a red hot atmosphere.
You can just imagine how the fans will be at Anfield. I know all eyes are going to be on the game for obvious reasons. I said it would be red hot, it will be white hot, I think, in terms of how they’re going to react to the situation that City are going through off the pitch. It’s going to be a cracking game, and cracking atmosphere.
Prediction: Liverpool win
Betfair Predicts
Liverpool 35%
Draw 26%
Manchester City 39%
Coventry City vs Newcastle United
This is a tough one for Newcastle going away to Coventry. Frank Lampard got the win that they needed before the break and he would have had a good three weeks off the back of that. I imagine he would have liked to have another game sooner rather than later to try and continue the momentum, but they will still be feeling good, which is why I think it could be tricky for Newcastle.
I’m going to go for another score draw.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Coventry 28%
Draw 27%
Newcastle 46%
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment